Facilities and Instrumentation
- Dual 90 m3 environmental chambers, temperature controlled (5-40 C), relative humidity controlled (<0.1% - 90%), blacklight and argon arc lamp light sources, chambers pressurized (+0.5" H2O) with surroundings swept with purified air.
- Mezzanine chamber, 37.5 m3, blacklight, room temperature, connected by ejector diluters to woodsmoke, cooking, and engine exhaust sources.
- MACh, 20 m3, blacklight, room temperature, mobile chamber that interfaces directly to vehicle emissions research laboratory.
- Oxidation flow reactor, temperature and RH controlled, 200 nm Hg lamp, used for multi-day oxidation simulations
- SOM chamber, used for inhalation exposures to study effects of fine particulate matter, pollens, dusts, etc.
- Mobile emission laboratory (MEL) (operated with emission and fuels research group). 53' trailer used to measure on-road, chassis dynamometer, and heavy-duty diesel engine exhausts, along with locomotives, BUGs, buses, yard-tractors, etc.
- PEMS (operated with emission and fuels research group). Used to measure in-use emissions from on-road and off-road equipment. Research has included evaluation of PEMS systems using MEL.
- Equipment includes multiple scanning mobility particle sizers (SMPS) for particle sizing, condensation particle counters (CPCs) for particle counting, Dekati mass monitor (DMM) for mass concentration, aerosol particle mass monitor (APM) coupled to SMPS to measure density and fractal dimension, volatility tandem differential mobility analyzers (vTDMA) for particle volatility, Aerodyne high resolution aerosol mass spectrometer (HR-AMS) for bulk chemical composition, SYFT selected ion flight tube mass spectrometer (SIFT-MS) for trace VOC analysis, cavity ringdown spectrometer (CRDS) with PERCA inlet for HO2 and RO2 radical measurements, cavity enhanced absorption spectrometer (CEAS) for NO2, glyoxal, and nitrate radical measurement, multiple gas analyzers for ozone, NO, NO2, NOy, SO2, CO, etc.), multiple gas chromatographs (GC-FIDs) for VOC analysis, high performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC) for carbonyls and other chemical analysis, ion chromatography for cation and anion analysis, ECOC analyzer for elemental and organic carbon analysis, spectrophotometers (e.g., LICOR-1800 for CO2 and H2O), calibrators, …..